Gross area: 53,136 ft2
Date completed: June 2009
Photo © Dave Revette Photography
Profile: For its new headquarters in downtown Syracuse, King and King Architects chose a 55,000 square foot warehouse that was constructed in 1913 as a farm equipment facility. Prior to the firm's renovation of the building, it was used as a furniture showroom and storehouse. The building was uninsulated, windows had single panel glazing, and both lighting and plumbing systems were very inefficient. King and King Architects transformed the structure into a design studio with additional support spaces including a kitchen, cafe, gallery, full scale mock-up lab/basketball court, and future tenant space. 97 percent of the existing building structure and envelope were saved
Energy-saving strategy: The walls were reinforced with a white oak cladding and closed-cell polyurethane sprayfoam insulation covered by a silicone and acrylic water barrier. In other areas, an EIFS system was used over a peel-and-stick air/vapor barrier. The roof system consists of closed-cell polyurethane spray-foam insulation with either a white silicone and acrylic water barrier or a TPO membrane and vegetated roofing system. Energy modeling software was used to determine the optimum envelope U-value to allow for mechanical systems downsizing, elimination of systems, and optimum return on investment.
Metal/glass curtain wall EFCO series 5500, Aluco Bond